[Deathwatch] Joe Cobb, 'Our Gang' Actor, 85

'Our Gang' Actor Cobb Dies at 85
Thu May 23, 8:22 AM ET
By The Associated Press

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) - Joe Cobb, who played a cheerful, chubby boy
named Joe in dozens of the "Our Gang" comedy films of the 1920s, died
Tuesday at the age of 85.

The native of Shawnee, Okla., was 5 when his father sent him to
audition for producer Hal Roach's comedy series featuring children.

Cobb, who also was cast in silent movies, appeared in the "Our Gang"
series' last silent film, "Saturday's Lesson," and its first talking
short, "Small Talk," in 1929.

He was recognizable in the ensemble cast with his trademark beanie cap
and chubby cheeks.

After his acting career ended in the early 1940s, Cobb became an
assembler for North American Aviation, a division of Rockwell
International. He retired in 1981.

Decades after his last film role, he appeared in "Classic Comedy
Teams," a 1986 documentary that looked at the "Our Gang" actors and
other screen comedians, including Laurel and Hardy and the Marx
Brothers.