[Deathwatch] Jack Buck, Sports Broadcaster, 77

Broadcast legend Jack Buck dead at 77

Updated: Wednesday June 19, 2002 7:10 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/news/2002/06/18/buck_obit_ap/

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- One of the most distinctive voices in sports has been
silenced.

Jack Buck, who in nearly five decades as a broadcaster rose from Harry
Caray's sidekick to a St. Louis institution, died Tuesday night after a
long hospital stay. He was 77.

"He had a great life," said Joe Buck, who joined his father in the
booth in 1991 and called the Cardinals' victory over the Anaheim Angels
for Fox. "He didn't waste one minute of one day. He packed two
lifetimes into one lifetime. He went from poor to wealthy in his
lifetime, yet he never changed."

Buck underwent lung cancer surgery Dec. 5. He returned to Barnes-Jewish
Hospital on Jan. 3 to have an intestinal blockage removed and never
left the hospital. Joe Buck said his father went in and out of a coma
several times the last few weeks.

On May 16, Buck underwent another operation to eradicate a series of
recurring infections, including pneumonia, and was placed on dialysis.
Joe Buck said his father died with his family by his side.

"He made us proud every day," Joe Buck said. "He battled for his life."

Jack Buck began calling Cardinals games on radio in 1954, teaming first
with Caray. Nationally, Buck called Super Bowls, World Series and even
pro bowling for CBS, ABC and NBC.

"It's a sad day for the game of baseball," Arizona Diamondbacks manager
Bob Brenly said. "He was baseball for a lot of people who grew up in
the Midwest."

The gravel-voiced Buck, a heavy smoker for decades, authored several
memorable calls.

After a gimpy Kirk Gibson hit a game-winning two-run homer off
Oakland's Dennis Eckersley in Game 1 of the 1998 World Series, Buck was
incredulous: "I don't believe what I just saw!"

Buck was also behind the microphone for the first telecast of the
American Football League and at the NFL championship "Ice Bowl" in
1967.

In St. Louis and throughout the Midwest, it was Buck's calls of
Cardinals games that made him a beloved figure. His signature call
after Cardinals victories: "That's a winner!" In 1998, the team
unveiled a bronze sculpture outside Busch Stadium of Buck's likeness
behind the microphone.

"There only is and always will be just one Jack Buck," said former
slugger Jack Clark, who played for the Cardinals in the 1980s. "He's a
Hall of Fame announcer and a Hall of Fame person. He was in the game
when it was at its purest. His calls of Stan Musial, (Bob) Gibson,
Ozzie (Smith) and all the way up to Mark McGwire are classics."

Buck also told Cardinals fans to "Go crazy, folks, go crazy!" when
Smith homered -- his first ever left-handed -- off Tom Niedenfuer of
the Dodgers to win Game 5 of the 1985 NL Championship Series.

Buck took a minimalist approach when McGwire tied Roger Maris' home run
record in 1998. Then, he said, "Pardon me for a moment while I stand
and applaud," while the crowd noise washed over the airwaves.

"It was a thrill just to be interviewed by the man and sit down and
talk to him," Arizona ace Curt Schilling said. "He was living baseball
history."

John Francis Buck was born Aug. 21, 1924, in Holyoke, Mass. He left
home as a teen-ager to work as a deck hand on the iron ore boats of the
Great Lakes and was drafted into the Army at 19 during the height of
World War II.

Buck shipped out for Europe in February 1945 and was wounded the next
month in Germany. Back home a year later, Buck went to Ohio State and
launched his broadcasting career at the school's radio station.

"When I went on the air to do a sports show at WOSU, I had never done a
sports show before," Buck wrote in That's a Winner, his autobiography.
"When I did a basketball game, it was the first time I ever did
play-by-play. The same with football. I didn't know how to do these
things. I just did them."

In 1954, Buck beat out Chick Hearn -- who went on to become an
institution with the Los Angeles Lakers -- for a job with the
Cardinals.

Buck left the Cardinals booth for a year in 1960 to work for ABC. He
later had a falling out with the network, which led him to not return a
phone call that could have landed him the first play-by-play role on
the network's Monday Night Football.

Instead, he called Monday night games and 17 Super Bowls on CBS radio
with sidekick Hank Stram from 1978-1996.

In 1990, Buck began a two-year stint as lead baseball announcer for
CBS. All the while, Buck continued to call Cardinals games. Joe Buck is
now the lead baseball and football play-by-play announcer at Fox.

An amateur poet, Buck often read his work on the air and, on occasion,
to crowds. When baseball resumed last year after the Sept. 11 terrorist
attacks, Buck's patriotic words were a highlight of a pregame ceremony
at Busch Stadium.

Inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame's broadcaster's wing in 1987,
Buck later became a member of both the broadcasters and radio halls of
fame. He was awarded the Pete Rozelle Award by the Pro Football Hall of
Fame in 1996 and received a lifetime achievement Emmy in 2000.

Buck, who had six children with his first wife Alyce, and two with wife
Carole, is survived by his second wife; sons Jack Jr., Dan and Joe; and
daughters Beverly, Christine, Bonnie, Betsy and Julie.

A public memorial service will be held Thursday at Busch Stadium before
the Cardinals' game against Anaheim.