[Deathwatch] Carrie Snodgrass, actress, 57

'Mad Housewife' actress Snodgress dead
Oscar-nominated actress was 57
Friday, April 9, 2004 Posted: 3:37 PM EDT (1937 GMT)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/09/obit.snodgress.ap/index.ht
ml

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Actress Carrie Snodgress, whose 40-year
career included an Oscar nomination for "Diary of a Mad Housewife" and
memorable roles in "Pale Rider" and "Wild Things," has died. She was
57.

Snodgress was hospitalized at the University of California Medical
Center in Los Angeles, awaiting a liver transplant when she died of
heart failure April 1, her manager, Sidney Craig, said Friday. Her son,
Zeke, by rock star Neil Young, was at her side, he said.

Snodgress was perhaps best-known for her role as a frustrated homemaker
caught between a domineering husband and a self-absorbed lover in
1970's "Diary of a Mad Housewife." She was nominated for an Academy
Award and won two Golden Globe awards -- leading actress in a musical
or comedy and new star of the year.

She starred in Clint Eastwood's 1985 western "Pale Rider" and was
featured in the 1998 noir film "Wild Things" with Matt Dillon and Neve
Campbell.

Off-screen, the Park Ridge, Illinois, native's love life was also
tumultuous.

Despite critical acclaim for her role in "Housewife," Snodgress turned
her back on Hollywood in 1971 to live with boyfriend Neil Young on his
northern California ranch and care for their son, who was born with
cerebral palsy.

She spent more than seven years with Young before she left and returned
to Los Angeles, later suing him for child support.

In 1979, her ex-boyfriend, songwriter Jack Nitzsche, was charged with
threatening to kill her after he barged into her home and beat her with
a handgun. He pleaded guilty to threatening her and was fined and
placed on three years' probation.

Picking up her career after a long absence wasn't easy, Snodgress later
said. She was initially tapped to star opposite Sylvester Stallone in
"Rocky" but lost the role over a salary dispute.

She eventually landed a supporting role in Brian DePalma's 1978 film
"The Fury." But in a 1986 Los Angeles Times interview, Snodgress said
she had no regrets about temporarily walking away from her career.

"I was never really a career woman, you see," she said. "My life always
came first. When I got nominated for 'Diary of a Mad Housewife,' I
didn't think, 'Aah, now I'll get more money.' My dream had always just
been to do my works well, fall in love and build a life for myself."

Other film credits included "The Attic," "A Night in Heaven,"
"Blueberry Hill," "Blue Sky" and "Ed Gein." Her television credits
included appearances on "The Virginian," "Marcus Welby, M.D.," "Murder
She Wrote," "X Files," "ER," "Judging Amy," "Touched by an Angel" and
"The West Wing."

There was a private family funeral. No public services were planned,
Craig said.