[Deathwatch] Corey Haim, actor, 38

Notification of departing celebrities deathwatch at slick.org
Wed Mar 10 08:22:53 PST 2010

*Corey Haim dead at 38*

By Liz Kelly
Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Eighties-era teen actor Corey Haim was found dead in a Los Angeles
apartment in the early hours of Wednesday morning. The Los Angeles
police confirmed the death
<http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-corey-haim-obit,0,7616140.story>
to TV station KTLA this morning in what it termed an "accidental overdose."

LA County coroner's Lt. Cheryl MacWillie Wednesday told the Associated
Press
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/10/AR2010031001225.html>
that Haim died at 2:15 a.m. at Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in
Burbank and that no new details will be released until the cause of
death is determined by an autopsy.

Haim is best known for his role in "The Lost Boys
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093437/>" and for his frequent pairing
with actor Corey Feldman in numerous movies. Haim and Feldman starred in
a short-lived a reality show, "The Two Coreys
<http://www.aetv.com/the-two-coreys/>," on A&E in 2007-2008.

In a 2004 interview with British tabloid the Sun
<http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article170436.ece>, Haim
described his drug addiction:

"I started on the downers which were a hell of a lot better than the
uppers because I was a nervous wreck. But one led to two, two led to
four, four led to eight, until at the end it was about 85 a day -- the
doctors could not believe I was taking that much. And that was just the
Valium -- I'm not talking about the other pills I went through."

The interview concluded with Haim's proclamation that he was clean,
sober and ready to make a Hollywood comeback.

/More details to come.../

*Update:*

-- In 2008, Corey Feldman told People
<http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20216299,00.html> magazine he
would no longer speak to Haim until Haim was able to stay sober.

"I don't feel that he's a safe person to have around my wife and child
at the moment, for a multitude of reasons," Feldman said.

Haim, it should be noted, maintained that he was drug-free at the time.

-- From IMDB.com, Haim's credits <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000433/>.
We remember him for "Lost Boys" and teen B movies like "License to
Drive," but I had forgotten his touching performance as an awkward teen
in "Lucas <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091445/>" and as Sally Field's
son in "Murphy's Romance <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089643/>."

And, according to IMDB, Haim had at least nine projects in various
stages of production at the time of his death.

-- #RIPCoreyHaim <http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23RIPCoreyHaim> is
already a trending topic on Twitter, with fans sharing tributes, like
this one from LilMissGiggles:

/"Gone too soon.... I had the BIGGEST crush on you when i was a kid.. u
even wrote back to my fan letter."/

---

*Update:*

The trailer for what is already being billed as Haim's last movie, the
low-budget horror "American Sunset." In the film, Haim plays a husband
trying to rescue his wife from a homicidal serial killer:

According to the official Web site, the movie is to be released in the
fall "on Pay TV, Cable or DVD."